You are using an outdated browser.

This website is not compatible with your web browser.

Please upgrade your browser or activate Google Chrome Frame to improve your experience.

Taxes for Canadian Businesses in the USA – Idaho

This is the seventh FAQ of this series on taxes for Canadian businesses in the USA.


What state taxes does a Canadian business pay in Idaho?


Sales Tax

The Idaho state sales tax rate is 6%. The rate can range from 6-9% depending on local municipalities.

Use Tax

The Idaho state use tax rate is 6%.

Unemployment Tax (Payroll Tax)

If you have employees working in Idaho, you must pay unemployment taxes on their gross wages up to the taxable wage base ($41,600 for 2020). Rates range between 0.255%-8.49% depending on your experience rating as an employer.

Withholding (Payroll Tax)

If you have an employee earning an income while in Idaho you must withhold a certain percentage of their income from each payroll. The amount of tax you withhold from an employee depends on the length of your pay period, the employee’s gross pay and the number of withholding allowances/exemptions claimed on their Form ID W-4.

Business Income Tax

You must file income tax returns for your business entity if you are transacting business in Idaho, if you are registered with the Idaho Secretary of State to do business in Idaho, or you have income attributable to Idaho. The current Idaho business tax rate is 6.925% on taxable income.


If you remain under certain thresholds in this state you are not responsible for taxes.


Availability of Treaty Benefits

Use taxes are often treated as income taxes by the Canadian government when calculating income in Canada and applying for foreign tax credits. Meaning if you pay use tax in the USA but have no net profit, you will not benefit from a tax credit theoretically. The actual application is a bit more complex.

Income taxes in the USA are almost always treated as income taxes by the Canadian government. Thus, in the majority of cases, if you pay tax in the state you don’t pay tax again in Canada unless the Canadian rate is higher.

If you are considering business in Idaho, including sales over $100,000 to residents and businesses in Idaho, please contact a member of the EPR tax team by completing the contact form below. Our tax experts can advise on the best structure to reduce or minimize the impact of the taxes.

Canadian and foreign tax laws are complex and have a tendency to change on a frequent basis. As such, the content published above is believed to be accurate as of the date of this post. Before implementing any tax planning, please seek professional advice from a qualified tax professional. EPR Maple Ridge Langley, Chartered Professional Accountants will not accept any liability for any tax ramifications that may result from acting based on the information contained above.

Contact Us

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.




Proud member of: